Information We Collect
When you access or use our Services, we may collect information about you as described below.
Information You Choose to Give Us
When you interact with our Services, we collect the information that you choose to share with us. For example, most of our Services require you to set up an account, so we need to collect a few important details about you, such as: an email address, a password, and your name.
Of course, you’ll also provide us whatever information you send through our Services, such as search terms. It probably goes without saying, but we’ll say it anyway: When you contact customer support or communicate with us in any other way, we’ll collect whatever information you volunteer.
Information We Get When You Use Our Services
When you use our Services, we collect information about which of our Services you’ve used and how you’ve used them. We might know, for instance, that you searched for a particular Moji. Here’s a fuller explanation of the types of information we collect when you use our Services (to learn about how you can control some of this information, be sure to read the aptly titled Control over Your Information section below):
- Usage Information. We collect information about how you interact with our Services. For example, we may collect information about the content you share and the features you access.
- Device Information. We collect information about the device you use to access or use our Services, such as the hardware model, operating system version, unique application identifiers, unique device identifiers, browser type, and language preference.
- Camera and Photos. Some of our Services require us to collect images and other information from your device’s camera and photos. We’ll access your camera and photos only after you give us your consent.
- Log Data. We also collect log information when you use our website, including: details about how you’ve used our Services, Device Information, access times, pages viewed, IP address, and identifiers associated with cookies or other technologies that may uniquely identify your device or browser.
Information We Collect from Third Parties
We may also obtain information about you from other sources and combine that with information we collect directly. For example, we may collect information about you when you post content to our pages or feeds on third-party social media sites or if you use credentials from a third-party site or service to create an account or log into our Services. We may also obtain information from our parent, subsidiary and affiliate companies, or any other third-party sources, and combine that with the information we collect through our Services.
How We Use Information
We may use the information we collect to:
- develop, operate, improve, deliver, maintain, and protect our Services
- communicate with you
- monitor and analyze trends and usage
- personalize our Services by, among other things, customizing the content we show you
- enhance the safety and security of our products and services
- verify your identity and prevent fraud or other unauthorized or illegal activity
- enhance our Services and your experience with them
- enforce our Terms of Service and other usage policies
We may also store some information locally on your device. For example, we may store information as local cache so that you can open our apps and view content faster.
How We Share Information
We may share information about you in the following ways:
- Business Transfers. If we get involved in a merger, asset sale, financing, liquidation or bankruptcy, or acquisition of all or some portion of our business to another company, we may share information about you with that company before and after the transaction closes.
- Related Companies. We may share information about you with our parent, subsidiary, and affiliate companies.
- Service Providers, Sellers, and Partners. We may share information about you with service providers who perform services on our behalf, sellers that provide goods and services through our Services, and business partners that provide services and functionality.
- Legal Reasons. We may share information about you if we reasonably believe that disclosing the information is needed to:
- comply with any valid legal process, government request, or applicable law, rule, or regulation;
- investigate, remedy, or enforce potential Terms of Service violations;
- protect the rights, property, and safety of us, our users, our Related Companies, or others; or
- detect and resolve any fraud or security concerns.
- Aggregate and De-Identified Data. We may also share with third parties, such as advertisers, aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Information You Choose to Share with Third Parties
Our Services may contain third-party links and search results, include third-party integrations, or be a co-branded or third-party-branded service that’s being provided jointly with or by another company. By accessing those links, using the third-party integration, or using a co-branded or third-party-branded service, you may be providing information (including personal information) directly to the third party, us, or both. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for how those third parties collect or use your information. As always, we encourage you to review the privacy policies of every third-party website or service that you visit or use, including those third parties you interact with through our Services.
Control over Your Information
- Access and Updates. We strive to let you access and update most of the personal information that we have about you. However, there are limits to the requests we’ll accommodate. We may reject a request for a number of reasons, including, for example, that the request risks the privacy of other users, requires technical efforts that are disproportionate to the request, is repetitive, or is unlawful. If you need to access, update, or delete any personal information that we may have, you can make a request by emailing us. Because your privacy is important to us, we may ask you to verify your identity or provide additional information before we let you access or update your personal information. We will try to update and access your information for free, but if it would require a disproportionate effort on our part, we may charge a fee. We will disclose the fee before we comply with your request.
- Cookies. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually remove or reject browser cookies through the settings on your browser or device. Keep in mind, though, that removing or rejecting cookies could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
Analytics Services Provided by Others
Users Outside the United States and Canada
We may collect your personal information from, transfer it to, and store and process it in the United States, Canada, and other countries whose local data-protection and privacy laws may offer fewer protections than those in your country of residence or from any country where you use or access our Services.
Our Services are not intended for—and we don’t direct them to—anyone under 13. And that’s why we do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under 13.